Boulia Shire welcomes all travellers to it’s 61000 sq klms of rugged landscape, open Mitchell grass downs and channel country which is noted for being one of the best Australian natural wool/beef producing country. The local Council, community members and land managers work hard and in partnership to keep it weed and pest free, so the people in generations to come can see it in its most natural condition. The Shire boundaries are the Northern Territory to the west, Diamantina Shire to the south and Winton Shire to the east, Mount Isa and Cloncurry Shire’s to the north.
Boulia’s state of the art facilities should entice any traveller to have on their itinerary, these include the:
- Race Course Reserve with modern up to date facilities,
- Sport and Aquatic Centre which houses a sport’s hall, squash courts, gymnasium, pool and much more.
- Min Min Encounter which houses a forty five minute experience with THE MIN MIN LIGHT that even has the sceptics believing.
There is an 18 Hole sand greens golf course and Golf Club house, Australian Hotel & Motel with 9 hotel and 13 motel rooms, Desert Sands Motel with 12 modern up to date rooms, Road House and the Min Min Store that has everything to fill the shopping bag.
Our two major events in the year are:
- Easter Weekend Rodeo, Campdraft and Races.
- The third weekend in July the Boulia Camel Races which includes two days of action packed camel racing and live entertainment.
Urandangi is a town that was founded in 1885 in the North Western end of the Shire, with the famous ‘Dangi’ pub on the banks of the mighty Georgina River, this was the hub in the days of the overland drovers, sitting at the bar you can picture the big mobs coming down the river from the big Northern Territory runs with the bullocks heading towards Dajarra which was one of Australia’s busiest cattle railway trucking yards. More cattle were railed out of Dajarra than the busiest yard in America. There is not a lot to see in the ‘Dangi’ but as the saying goes “if you don’t go you don’t know.”
Safe travel and enjoy your stay
Rick (Eric) Britton